Thursday, May 16, 2013

Tuesday, May 7th, Downtown Seoul

On this day we have 2 Koreans with us to help us get around downtown Seoul and translate.  Thank you to Yoonwha, our sister-in-law and her niece, Sue!  Thank you!!!


Congratulations Yoonwha Wilson!  She was part of a team who wrote a book to help Korean kids learn English.  The book was just published and this is the copy that was sent to her.

Very interesting pictures (the following 3).  As we were heading to downtown Seoul, and talking, Russel and I notice that we are sitting at the stoplight, even though its GREEN.  At first I didn't say anything, because I didn't want to question Yoonwha's driving.  But, after sitting there and seeing about 3 rotations of green lights, I had to ask, "why aren't we going."  Yoonwha explains; on the 7th of each month (I don't remember if it's at a designated time, I'll update this when I do find out) ALL streets in Korea are STOPPED, for 10 - 15 minutes!  All car traffic and all foot traffic.   These pictures are taken as I was standing in the street, outside of the car.  The view behind us.  (We were the last car at this light.)

This is the view in front of our car, however, I walked 3 cars up, to the front of the line, to take this picture.  Notice the car that is STOPPED in the middle of the intersection.  And, notice that the light is GREEN.  The people standing on the right, in the yellow vests are the ones stopping traffic.  Everyone abides.

This is all done IN CASE OF A NATIONAL EMERGENCY.  In the event of Government or Emergency vehicles having to come through, or closing off the roads for the safety of the Korean citizens.
Even in Downtown Seoul this is done.  We would have liked to see it in Seoul, with so many people!






Off the train to go tour.

Green backpack.....check.  I've had that backpack since 1992.  It was a H.S. Graduation gift, given to me by my older sister.  It's been with me in all my travels.



It didn't tell us how far to Guam. : /


Yoonwha, looking at a menu.
Korean garden



This building was built after 0/11.  The center part moves down like an elevator.  We never saw it move up/down, but in case of emergency, it lowers.

Russel found a bakery.


Shopping









Pretty clever way of sweeping the floor :)










Sue, Yoonwha's niece. 20 years old.


TOURISTS!








Buying homemade rice cakes.
















Stefany's dinner
Russel's dinner (picture shown below)

All meals came with white rice, tofu, kimche, radishes and soup.





Sue's dinner.  She poured broth into that prepared bowl.


Our sides.
I think this is Russel's meal.












After a long day in the city, we headed back home to Bundang at about 10:00pm.  A 45-minute train ride.  It was a full day of sightseeing, shopping and eating.  Thank you Yoonwha and Sue!

No comments:

Post a Comment